Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It keeps gettin' better and better....NOT!

So in an effort to keep positive I share the latest in the saga with my hand. I saw a physical therapist who specializes in hands, in particular radial nerve injuries such as mine. I was fitted for a special brace with little slings for each finger that are attached to a spring pulley system. This enables my fingers to be held up ( as I cannot lift them up on my own) and the springs are to act as resistance to enable better function. It's weird...I can close my hand...I just can't open it. They tell me that it is different muscles and different nerves. So long story short...this little gem of a devise, enables me to have more function on the keyboard at work as well as other mindless tasks that I have taken for granted. The contraption looks so silly that my new nickname is either Edward Scissorhands or the "Puppet Master".

3 comments:

Jenna said...

It really does look like something 'futuristic' Almost like a robotic arm. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this, I'm thinking about you.

Kimberly said...

I think I'm voting for Puppet Master, or how about just "Fred." Why to look at the positive, I think that is one of your greatest strengths. Chin up!

Taresa said...

I'm so excited to see you have a blog!!! I could spend hours online looking at peoples blogs! Now Tara needs one!