Friday, November 11, 2011

Sempre Fi ~ Always Faithful

Sempre Fi is the motto of the United States Marine Corp. The meaning has affected my whole life many ways. It is a Latin term for Always Faithful. I learned this at an early age from my father who served in World War II in the Marine Corp. The battles he fought were in the South Pacific Solomon Island chain, one most notable island being Guadalcanal. He spent many of his young adult years fighting in jungles; coming home briefly and only long enough to marry my mother in December of 1942.

Dad’s nickname was Deacon Dodge due to his strong religious background as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He seemed to stand out amongst the others as someone with high standards and moral conviction. I remember being very proud when he would tell stories of his buddies calling him, Deacon. I think I now know why.

Dad’s experiences in the war were always tender to him and when asked he would reluctantly share, yet always reserving many of the details. I remember him holding my sisters’ newborn babies and stroking their hands with tears in his eyes. Several years later, while he was holding my newborn daughter I was privileged to know why he had such a fascination with the hands of these precious babies; a horrific experience had place a scar in his memory that would forever be present and the hands of those tiny babies would take him back to the jungles of the South Pacific.

Dad was proud to be a Marine. To him, there was no better branch of the military. I was raised to feel deeply about our country and the freedoms we enjoy. I remember the tears that came to my father’s eyes each time the National Anthem was played…no wonder tears fill my eyes when I place my hand over my heart and hear it today. I was taught respect, honor and loyalty for our country.

Today is November 11, 2011…Veteran’s Day and I am thinking a lot about those freedoms. I have been and will eternally be grateful for all those who have ever and will ever serve in our armed forces to protect the freedom I enjoy. To merely say thank you seems to pale in comparison to their service and sacrifice.

Now, to Sempre Fi…Always Faithful…that motto was so ingrained in my father that it infiltrated his whole life. I think it was a part of his life long before he joined the Marine Corp. You see, he knew who he was and whose he was. The Gospel of Jesus Christ had instilled in him the deepest levels of faithfulness. My dad was always a faithful active member of the church and taught me to be; serving wherever asked with exactness and honor…always deeming it a privilege to serve in the Lord’s Kingdom.

Once when I was a little girl about 5...my father had had some issues with his heart and was not able to work. We were on church assistance at the time; a fact I learned many years later. My father had asked the Bishop if our family could work somehow somewhere for the assistance we were receiving. I have a vivid memory of being inside the baptismal font at the church with Dad. We were cleaning the tiles and grout. I remember scrubbing with a toothbrush, and as a questioning little girl does, I asked "Daddy, why are we doing this?" And without any hesitation and with all the depth of testimony that filled his soul, he answered, "Peanut, (nickname) because we love the Lord." That seemed to satisfy my questioning mind, but little did I know that his answer would be a compass for me, always pointing Heavenward. My big, gruff yet tender hearted father could have just brushed the question off with a dismissal response, but he didn't. He chose to proclaim his testimony in five words. That simple phrase has carried me through some tough times throughout my life: times of trial, heartache and pain; times when I doubted and felt alone as well as times when I was feeling great joy and happiness. Why do we live the lives we live and remain…always faithful? Because we love the Lord!

Thank you dad, for being….Always Faithful…Sempre Fi.

A tribute to Meldon Hollies Dodge, 1921 to 2002

2 comments:

SuSu said...

Awesome post! Teary.

Kimberly said...

Thank you.
Thats all the words I have ;)