Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Memories

Today I am flooded with memories of my own children on Halloween. So many years ago, yet the images are very clear in my mind. For many years, we would ask Tara what she wanted to be for Halloween and the response was always the same...."a princess"! So for more years than I can count, Tara was a princess. We did have a little variety when the boys came along...we had a clown, twin Dracula, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, a pirate, etc. etc...The most creative year was the one where Jared wanted to dress up like and old man. So he grew his hair out (because it was always buzzed) and then on Halloween day dad got out the "buzzer" and shaved the top of his head, leaving only the sides...the proverbial "old man" look. He got so many compliments and extra candy from homes that he was naturally..the best costume of the year. Unfortunately, my memories of Halloween always seem to have rain in them....YUCK! I know this is an exaggeration, but it seemed to rain every stinkin' year!

It is interesting that today I miss Halloween days of old. I HATED them when my kids were young. I hated the costume decisions, the decorations, and all the candy that would somehow find its way ground in my carpet. Now, I want those years back. I don't think I would feel the same way about them today. I think I would have taken time to enjoy the moments more. Don't get me wrong...I did enjoy them to a point. But, now that they are gone...I have a different perspective. I wish I could have a "do over"!



So now, it is on to the next generation of candy loving little characters. Claire is Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Too cute! They went to their ward party Trunk or Treat and apparently Claire really enjoyed herself as noted by the sticky candy residue left behind.



This little Dorothy is pooped and looks like she is coming down from a sugar high! And so...traditions carry on. Grandma Rutkowski seems to feel differently now about this day! I only wish we lived close enough to see our little "Dorothy" in person!


1 comment:

SuSu said...

Every holiday perspective is different when you have "grans" funny how that works!